Saturday, September 30, 2006

Filters Have Arrived!

Well tonight I picked up my filters from the post office and brought them home. To refresh your memory, they are an Eheim 2217 and a Unimax Pro 250.

I took out the Unimax first just to see what it was like. I was very impressed. It wasn't cheap feeling or looking, the media was all there, and I immediately set about rinsing the media to get it ready. I thought it a bit odd that I found a piece of glass in the canister, but started filling it up to rinse it out anyway. I should let you know, this is a filter with a built in UV sterilizer. Anyway, long story short, it starts leaking as soon as it reaches a certain level. I put two and two together and take a peek inside the quartz sleeve of the UV sterilizer, and sure enough there's a crack and a hole with a few pieces missing. DAMN!





So now I don't know what to do. The filter was bought used, so I don't know if it was already broken or if it was broken in transit, but my money is on the proud workers at the USPS, who, by the way, took about 20 minutes this morning trying to find my packages, and only looked for two after I pointed out there were two explicitly listed on my claim slip. Grrr.

So, disappointed about the Unimax, I started setting up the 2217. I already have a 2213 so I know the drill, but if it's your first time, the directions might as well not be translated. It can get a bit confusing. My first impression of the 2217 was "Wow, this thing is huge!"

Anyway, I'll write a full review and setup guide on the 2217 tomorrow morning and keep you posted about the status of the Unimax. I'm hoping I can order a part (or have one sent for free!) from Aquael, the manufacturer, in Poland. Luckily its an easy piece to replace. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Sponsors

PetSmart

Planted Aquarium Books