Monday, June 01, 2009

Aquascaping Topic: Emersed Growth

I've finally thrown in the towel on the last of my emersed grow out containers, since the bulb burnt out and I didn't realize it, and all my dwarf hairgrass in it died. I have to admit, when it works, growing plants emersed is much faster and less intensive than a grow out tank. Not having to dose fertilizers, worry about CO2, or plants that wont stay planted is fantastic. It does have its drawbacks though, since my HC was overrun with some sort of slime mold, and before that it was infested with little bugs. The transition from submersed to emersed and back again can be tricky as well. What about you? Have you ever tried to grow any plants emersed? Do you think it's worth it?

1 comment:

  1. Its a different technique really and you become a terrarium keeper. Humidity and light can be tricky to balance and as you say bugs and molds can be a real problem. Good to see these plants flowering though.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Sponsors

PetSmart

Planted Aquarium Books