Sunday, August 19, 2007

New Nano Aquarium

I've been very busy over the past month, hence the lack of posts, but I did find some spare time to create a new aquascape for my nano aquarium.


The glass vase is about 1/2 a gallon (about 1.8 liters) so it's quite small. The light is a simple 8 watt compact fluorescent flood light I bought at Ikea (it's not really the right color temperature, but it gets the job done). There's no filtration, since doing water changes is so easy and there's no livestock except a few Malaysian trumpet snails.


It looks rather barren now, but it should slowly but surely fill in. The plant in the back is a narrow leaf Java Fern, the front left is a dwarf Sag and the front right is Stargrass. There's also some Christmas moss tied to the rock and a little leaf of hydrocotyle on the far right. I think once it gets established I'm going to move in a few cherry shrimp to add some color. The total cost of this nano aquarium was about $20 for me, but would be about $50 for all materials:
  • $15 for the bulb and light
  • $20-30 for the vase (I had it on hand)
  • $5 for the substrate
  • $5 for plants (Came from another of my tanks)
  • $5 for wood and rock (Already had this on hand)

11 comments:

  1. Real cute! No ferts? Keep us posted on the updates of this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanos are cool.
    Nice one.

    www.xylema.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. How this is working out for you?

    I was thinking of doing the same thing for my office desk. Got and updated pics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been working out great! Check out the "nano" tag for all updates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw few months ago your nano tank , now i have mine i use co2 , i planted some glosstima , difrents moss and the grow is awesome better tnah my big tank grea blog thanks for your aricles .
    juan from mexico city

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get your 1/2 gallon tank?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please do another update of your nano tank - I love the concept, especially for people with little space for bigger aquariums.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Sponsors

PetSmart

Planted Aquarium Books